This one is coming a bit late but with all the love intact 🙂 K and I hope all of you have had a merry Christmas and a good holiday!
Have you all noticed how everyone seems happy and kind and cheerful during December? And, why not? There is every reason to celebrate when Santa is on his way and also ushers in the new year. Not strangely, I have noticed that Christmas makes me super merry and chirpier.
This is K’s and my first Christmas in Singapore. Obviously, we were super excited! Last year, we celebrated Christmas with friends in Port Dickson in Malaysia. While that was fun, I was always curious to see what Christmas in Singapore is like. And we are super thankful to God for giving us another Christmas!
K and I roamed around Orchard soaking in all the lovely lights and feeling miniscule yet beautiful everytime we spotted the huuuuuuuge X’mas trees shining away to glory, almost as if signifying a brighter better world. I have this habit of seeing certain events and things around me as metaphors and naturally, the gift wrappers, candles, smiles, festivity only provided more impetus to my fetish.
I kept thinking of how I automatically smile an inch wider and chirp everytime I try to say something. And then, I realized it is all because it is Christmas and new year soon ! There are hundreds of reasons why I love this time of the year but I thought I would share a few here. Also, let me share some snaps we clicked away on the busy Orchard street that is famous for its bustling cheery crowd during Christmas month.
1. I loooooooove how Christmas sounds. Christmas. See. Christmas. I just kept wishing people t work again and again because I like how it sounds.
Especially when I say it.
2. I love how people never tire of shopping. Including those who dislike it (the ones I know, I mean). You can see everyone carrying a big bag (atleast) and that inturn contains many gift wrapped boxes in myriad colours. I cannot get enough of looking at them and trying to guess what might be inside and who would be the lucky one. That’s why I am a kid. Give me a diamond necklace and I will just put it away (I swear) but give me a scented eraser inside a gift wrap and I will treasure it forever. That holds good for the diamond necklace as well. Kidding! Gift wraps hold my attention and awe me so much. I even stand long and stare at those boxes that are gift wrapped and placed under the tree in malls. I never want to believe that they are empty. I am so curious to open them.
3. I love how the streets look. There is not an inch to keep your foot and sometimes all you can see are faces, faces and more faces. Busy ones, prepping up last minute.
4. Every little place along the street gets decked up and becomes all Christmas-y! That almost makes me feel like a wreath is all it needed.
5. There is just so much kindness in the air, More than usual. Like people give way to others, people smile more generously, people listen more and there is a lot of goodwill in general. Atleast I feel so.
I love these ornaments that adorned the street. I love it when there is a lot of light around. It uplifts my mood by tonnes.
6. I love watching little kids wearing those little Santa caps and walking around cutely, anticipating Santa’s visit and getting excited at the prospect of possible goodies for them in the bag that their parents are carrying.
7. I love the figures that are set up around corners that share the stories. It reminds me of how I would await for Christmas and celebrate it by watching Cartoon Network for an entire day. The channel would run shows on several stories that shared the spirit of Christmas, on kindness, giving and joy. Chintu and I would have a whale of a time watching them. Christmas reminds me of all those times and I find it hard to describe how much I crave for all those times again. Just to be able to sit in one place and watch show after show, never getting up for minute so that not a single part is missed – The last I saw, CN was not telecasting any such shows. I really hope they have started the tradition again.
8. I love carols and the sound of it everywhere we go. When K and I were walking along the streets, we spotted one group singing carols and drawing people in large numbers. We could not reach them owing to the traffic and so could only click them from a distance. But we made up for the loss by singing Rudolf the red nosed reindeer for 4 days at a stretch. K and I loooooove this song to bits 🙂
9. I love the X’mas tree, its shape and how there are ornaments all around it. But look at how much more delectable it can get!
Still wondering? Look closer.
10. I loooooooooooooooooove Santa (though mine gifts more than Coke)! No more words needed.
11. I love how colourful the streets get with various performances.
12. I love the messages that are displayed. It makes Christmas all the more magical. One of them we clicked –
Look at how enormous and gorgeous this X’mas tree is!
We wrapped it all up with the gorgeous looking Christmas hazelnut log-cake. Honestly, I wouldn’t say that we loved it (except for the lovely white chocolate flakes) but it does look beautiful! We also had a walnut cake that was moist and yummy (unfortunately, the snap isn’t getting uploaded).
Why do you love Christmas? And how did you celebrate yours? 🙂